In this blog, I talk about the best cloud hosting for wordpress and other PhP based CMS application.
Most of the people doing research on cloud hosting solutions do not consider the entire pricing model of cloud servers.
When it comes to cloud pricing, it’s not just the server cost. You need to consider the following.
- Server costing
- Storage cost (Boot Disk & extra storage disks)
- Disk snapshot storage costs.
- Network Costs (Bandwidth/transfer)
- Country-Specific tax.
The following snapshot shows the billing of a small server I host on AWS. It shows the data transfer fee is more than the instance price of $5.54. Plus the $2.37 tax.
Most cloud hosting use cases might need extra storage and disk snapshot backups. It is very essential because you can restore the website or data if configurations or data get corrupted.
Now let’s look at the list of cheap and best cloud hosting providers. This list of hosting providers is decided based on the following factors.
- Ease of dashboard use
- Datacenter availability across the globe
- Flexible and simple pricing schemes
- Data backup and recovery options
- Service availability of 99.9%
Also, this list is primarily for small and medium businesses. So I am not considering enterprise cloud platforms like AWS, GCP, or Azure.
Note: I have seen many blogs which contains misleading list of cloud hosting service. They normally portray shared hosting services as cloud hosting. Do your due deligence before you select a cloud hosting provider. When it comes to cloud (IaaS), you should have 100% control over the server. Whereas Cloud (PaaS) services, you will have access only to deploy applications. Any other type of hosting is probably a shared service.
1. Digital Ocean
As you all know, there are many cloud providers in the market now. Among them Digital ocean, a cloud provider has the best solution for hosting your application with high speed and reliability in the cloud, starting from $5 per month. Digitalocean is used by many developers and small businesses to host their applications.
Note: You will get $100 free credits for 60 days
Here is what I like about the digital ocean.
- Intuitive dashboard to manage cloud VPS (Droplets). Every option is pretty self-explanatory and easy for beginners to get started.
- It offers all the basic essential services like disk backups, managed databases, networking, firewalls, and monitoring.
- Moreover, Digitalocean has vast documentation on deploying applications on its Droplets. Be it any application configuration like Nginx, Apache, MySQL, etc, you will find a detailed article explaining the step-by-step process.
The following image shows the Digital Ocean Data Center regions
DigitalOcean Key Features
- You can deploy servers in data centers available across different regions across the globe.
- Servers with SSD for higher performance.
- Promises 99.9% uptime with good SLA
- Starts from $5 per month with 512 MB RAM, 20 GB SSD, and 1 Tb monthly data transfer. Additional data transfer costs 0.02 cents. Comparatively fast and cheap virtual servers on the cloud.
- Re-sizing the instances based on your requirements. You can start from 512 MB RAM up to 16 GB RAM. 5. Easy to use control panel.
- Pay per hour, billing model.
- Good developer community base and 24 X 7 customer support.
- Two-factor authentication for accounts. 9. Full root access to servers, unlike traditional hosting services.
You can check the customer reviews here Customer Reviews
Data Center Status: Digital Ocean Status Page
Next on our list is Linode. Overall services and server setup is similar to DigitalOcean. One interesting fact about Linode is, it was founded in 2003. The same year they launched the public cloud offering as well (A per their website).
Note: You will get $100 free credits for 60 days
Here is what I like about Linode.
- 1-12 GBps of outbound connection speed
- Free DDoS Protection
- Data Center Regions
Linode Key Features
- User-Friendly Cloud Interface
- 1000+ Documentation Library
- On-demand GPUs for parallel processing workloads such as machine learning, scientific computing, and video processing.
- Intelligent Threat Blocking
- Real-Time Network Protection
Advantages of Hosting Your Website On Cloud
By hosting your application on cloud servers,
- The main advantage of hosting your application on cloud servers is that you have full control over your server. You will pay on an hourly basis and also you can cancel the subscription whenever you want, unlike the traditional hosting providers.
- You can have full root access and full management of your application. You can shut down and start the servers whenever you want.
- You will have to pay only for the running hours of the server.
- You can upgrade and downgrade the RAM and storage whenever needed.
- You can spin up Linux bases servers in less than a minute and can have timely backups and snapshots of your data stored in the cloud.
Data Center Status: Linode Status Page
Third, on our list is Vultr. It offers similar services like Digitalocean and Linode. Vultr was founded in 2014.
Note: You will get $100 free Vultr credits
Vultr Key Features
Following are key Vultr features I like.
- It offers Bare Metal & dedicated Cloud Servers
- 17 Data Center Regions
- Managed Kubernetes service is available in beta.
- Offers both Linux and Windows servers
Data Center Status: Vultr Status page
You may be looking for a best WordPress cloud hosting solution or you might want to deploy a custom-developed PhP application on the cloud.
It is very important to choose the best cloud provider with good security and availability.
Also, look at the pricing model considering your outbound bandwidth usage. Most of the cloud hosting providers have their own billing calculator that can provide you with an estimate based on your requirements.
Do let me know your learnings and experiences in the comments section. I would like to hear them.